The Coaching Agile Teams workshop, which I recently attended, taught me why asking powerful questions can help others become truly great!
Powerful questions hardly ever start with 'why?' but instead ask 'what?' or 'how?'. Truly powerful questions are open-ended as they initiate discussion and generate insight. They shouldn't result in a 'yes/no' answer! A closed-minded question would ask something like: "Do you need help?", whilst an open-minded question would ask, "What might help look like?".
Here's a list of some of the questions we used during the workshop...
- What is important about that?
- What might help look like?
- What is at risk?
- What else?
- What would an experiment look like?
- Which part is <confusing, surprising, annoying, etc>?
- What's already working that you can build on?
- How does it look to you?
- How do you really want it to be?
- What is stopping you?
- What is the lesson from that?
- What have you tried so far?
- What would a simple way look like?
- Where are the tricky parts?